Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 17:19:44 +0200
From:      Hroi Sigurdsson <hroi@asdf.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

[trimming CCs]

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 09:31:34AM -0400, Jason Andresen wrote:

> Er, I don't think ReiserFS is in the Linux kernel yet, although it is
> the default filesystem on some distros apparently.  I think Linus has
> some reservations about the stability of the filesystem since it is
> fairly new.

It is in now AFAIK.

> That said, it would be hard to be much worse than Ext2fs
> with write cacheing enabled (default!) in the event of power failure.
> We only have three Linux boxes here (and one is a PC104 with a flash
> disk) and already I've had to reinstall the entire OS once when we had a
> power glitch.  ext2fsck managed to destroy about 1/3 of the files on the
> system, in a pretty much random manner (the lib and etc were hit hard).
> Heck, the system didn't even try to boot when it came back, I had to
> pull

FWIW, I lost two filesystems last week. One ext2 and the second reiser
and no crashes/power failures were involved.
The ext2 failure meant a complete reinstall (only 4-5 files where left
in / after fsck). A reiser filesystem started giving input/output errors
and could not be repaired with reiserfsck. Trying to back up the file
system before a repair only resulted in kernel panics.

--
Hroi Sigurdsson                             hroi@netgroup.dk
Netgroup A/S                          http://www.netgroup.dk