Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:47:33 -0800
From:      rick norman <rick.norman@lmco.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   dummynet "pipe show" problem

Hi,
I have enclosed a short piece of code that seems to
reproduce the problem after 5 to 10 minutes.
I am running 4.3 freebsd off the release cd's.
Pretty much the generic kernel except for the
addition of dummynet and ipfw.  My platform
is a dell dimension 4100 with 1ghz p3, though
I doubt that is relevant.  To reproduce the problem,
compile and run the enclosed code in one window.
In another window su to root and run "ping -s 1024 -f 127.0.42.1".
As you will see, the code reports the gowing byte count as one
would expect.  Walk away for 5 to 10 minutes and when you come
back you should see the state I'm talking about. The flood ping stream
is still
running but the pipe is no longer counting bytes, it reports zero.  If
you kill the ping and restart it, the pipe again sees it.
Can someone tell why this is happening and how to avoid it ?

Thanks,
Rick

----------------------cut--------------------------------------------

main() {
        int  i;

restart:
   system("ifconfig lo0 -alias 127.0.42.1");
   system("ifconfig lo0 alias 127.0.42.1 netmask 255.255.255.0");
   system("ipfw -f flush");
   system("ipfw pipe 1 delete");
   system("ipfw add pipe 1 ip from 127.0.42.0/24 to any in");

   for(i=0;i<5;i++) {
        system("ipfw pipe 1 config queue 2048Bytes");
        sleep(1);
        system("ipfw pipe 1 show");
   }

   goto restart;