Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2000 09:58:53 -0800
From:      Dan Yergeau <yergeau@gloworm.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Scott Michel <scottm@cs.ucla.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what causes tx underruns on PNIC cards

>I've got a NetGear FA-310tx card, which claims to be a 82c169 PNIC.

>The problem I'm running into is consistent tx underruns

>The tx underrun occurs with various amounts of data queued or ready
>to be queued to the card. There is no one set amount of data.

>Anyone else seen this problem?

Yep.  Same card, same PNIC, same problem.

(http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1746307+1750654+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-questions/19990801.freebsd-questions)

I gave up and went with a 82C115 (PNIC-II) based Linksys LNE100TX
(v2.0).  'course, that also wasn't perfect.  An older version of the
driver had negotiation problems that panic'd the kernel on boot.
Even with the "remove the T4 code" fix, the card experienced FIFO
overlows on "slow" hardware (a P6/200 on a Performance/AU
motherboard).  In more current hardware (PIII/500 on a 440BX-based
Tyan motherboard), the Linksys NIC worked flawlessly at 100Mbps FD.

With the time wasted on the problems, it probably would have been
better to buy a 3COM or Intel NIC (though, at the time there were
rumors of problems with the "updated" Intel chipset).

Dan