Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 00:33:33 -0500
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Postfix port binding problem

in message <20020104233915.D93879-100000@bsd.smnolde.com>,
wrote Scott Nolde thusly...

> smacked into the keyboard previously by owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:
>
>  >Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 22:25:23 -0600
>  >From: Troy <tdrake@myrealbox.com>
>  >To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>  >Subject: Postfix port binding problem
>  >
>  >whenever I try to start postfix I get this error in the
>  >maillog:  postfix/master[1096]: fatal: bind INADDR_ANY port 25: Address
>  >already in use.
>  >
>  > I'm assuming this means it cant bind to port 25 because
>  >something else is using it.. but I don't know what is. Running top shows
>  >nothing smtp related is running, but a netstat -a  shows this:
>  >
>  >tcp4       0      0  *.smtp  *.*  LISTEN
>  >
>  >so obviosly something is
>  >binding to port 25, but I have no clue what it would be
> sockstat | grep 25 will tell you what is listening on port 25.
>
> Chances are you didn't disable sendmail before starting postfix.  You can
> do this in /etc/rc.conf with sendmail_enable="NO", then kill sendmail, and
> start postfix.

troy, following is different from your current situation & above is
the most likely scenario, so you may ignore it.  i'm sending it for
completeness sake.

a similar but not exact message comes from postfix when "names
are resolved to same address more than once".  that message would
be like...

  postfix/master: fatal: bind 127.0.0.1 port 25: Address already in use

...at that point postfix doesn't run & leaves a pid file in
somewhere /var directory.  after deleting that pid file & starting
postfix again, same thing would happen again until "inet_interfaces"
value is adjusted.

above mentioned problem can be found via google.  as of sep-dec
2001, it problem had not been (re)solved.