Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:03:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Puri <natepuri@yahoo.com>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: neither acd0c or acd1c work on 4.0

--- Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org> wrote:
> Nate Puri wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I upgraded like many others, and like many other's
> I'm
> > having problems.
> >
> > When I try to mount either /dev/acd0c or
> /dev/acd1c I
> > get 'device not configured'; they're both visible
> in
> > dmesg as acd0 and acd1.
>
> 	Do the entries exist in /dev?
>
> cd /dev
> /bin/sh MAKEDEV acd0
> /bin/sh MAKEDEV acd0a
>
> "repeat for acd1"

This is wierd.  These were both in there, acd0a,
acd0c, acd1a, acd1c.  Then I removed them and did a
fresh
'sh MAKEDEV acd0'; this created both acd0c and acd0a.
When I do 'sh MAKEDEV acd1' nothing appears, if I do
'sh MAKEDEV acd1a' I get an error telling me that
there can be no more than 32 cdrom devices.  I
rebooted, and tried to mount acd0a and c, but now I
get 'device busy.'

This is a pretty new install, I'm thinking perhaps I
could use a fresh install?

> > Some documentation that tells me how to fix this
> stuff
> > would be helpful.
>
> 	There are tons of it on the web site. Before
> posting questions of this
> sort you should always check the mail archives. This
> question will
> definitely be in there.

Recently these have been down, are they back up?

Thank a lot for your help...

-nate