Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:45:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug Barton <Studded@gorean.org>, Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Brendan Kosowski <brendan@bmk.com.au>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Time calibration ?

On Sunday, 25 October 1998 at  1:14:02 -0800, Studded wrote:
> It's generally considered rude for an "average user" to synch to a
> stratum 1 server without permission.

It's generally considered rude for an "average user" to synch to any
ntp server without permission.  But there are plenty of stratum 1
servers available which have an open access policy.  To quote
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html:

  The list of primary (stratum 1) and secondary (stratum 2) designates
  the NTP time servers available for public access under stated
  restrictions.

  ... It is very important that potential clients avoid use of servers
  not listed as open access, unless approved first by the responsible
  person. This especially includes indiscriminate use of servers not
  listed in the list, since this can be disruptive.

Note that this also implies that Dan's idea of finding the closest
server, apart from bringing no advantage, is also considered
inappropriate.

> 	To answer the other question, ntp stands for "Network Time Protocol"
> and is also a generic label to apply to the servers, clients, etc. The
> xntpd server supports version 3 of the protocol, ntpd is version 4. The
> two branches are relatively equivalent to our -Stable and -Current. At
> some point we should probably integrate ntp into -current, but the last
> time this topic came up (about 6 months ago) someone more knowledgeable
> than me was looking at both sets of sources and decided that ntp wasn't
> yet ready for prime time. For a long time I had hoped that someone would
> at least update to a more recent version of xntpd and then move that
> into the 2.2 branch, but that dream will die with 2.2.8. :-/  Our
> version of xntpd is prehistoric, and the vast numbers of bug fixes and
> algorithm improvements we're missing out on boggles the mind. And before
> anyone mentions it, I volunteered to make a port of the more recent
> version a while back and was told that it wouldn't be committed. If that
> has changed I'm still happy to do a port of the more recent version.

Who were you talking to?  Why didn't they want to commit it?  Follow
up privately if you like.

Greg