Date:      29 Oct 2002 03:25:59 +0000
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>, "Wilkinson,Alex" <Alex.Wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [hardware] Tagged Command Queuing or Larger Cache ?

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 02:40, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > Personally I find that no HD manufacturer has a good reputation - they
> > have all made trashy drives at one point. Give the general time it takes
> > for problems to surface vs product lifetimes makes deciding what to buy
> > a PITA :(
>
> No, I'd take issue with that, hitting on all HD mfrs in general, it has
> more to do with the technology, and the focus of the market it's aimed at.
> In general, SCSI drives have a far better rep than the IDE drives.  That
> probably has to do with the market sector they focus on.  With one
> exception (a heat problem I probably must blame on myself doing some
> learning) I've had no problems with scsi drives, and I beat hell out of
> them.

They sure do have a better rep. but they DO cost 4x as much :)
(Not including a controller)

> I guess if you *must* run IDE, then run raid arrays.  If you don't run
> either, then you can't complain if you buy the cheapest and don't get the
> best reliability.

Indeed, though in general I find it pretty hard to justify SCSI prices
in the particular application we have.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5