Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:03:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      William Denton <buff@pobox.com>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   XFree86 4.2 making screen periodically blank

I upgraded XFree86 to the latest port version last night, and this morning
when I tried it out it didn't work right.  It started up OK, then after a
few seconds the screen went black and then flashed back on, making an
electrical whooshing sound like monitors make.  It happened again, and
again, then there was a delay, then it happened again and again.  I
restarted X a few times, I checked /var/log/XFree86.0.log, but nothing
looked serious.  There were two warnings:

(WW) ATI(0): Failed to set write-combining range (0xf0000,0x10000)
(WW) ATI(0): Cannot shadow an accelerated frame buffer.

I use fvwm2, and the way I have things set up, the Alt-Fn keys should pop
up menus.  They didn't-seemed like the Alt key wasn't being noticed.  I
thought it might be the window manager that didn't get along with the new
X, so I installed the newest version from the ports, but that didn't fix
things either.  I'd start X, it'd come up, be OK for a few seconds, then
blank off and come back, sometimes staying on for several seconds,
sometimes going back off almost immediately.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be, or what I could look for?
I'm using an ATI Mach 64, and FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE upgraded about a week
ago.  XFree86-4.1.0_12,1 worked perfectly for me, and I didn't change the
XF86Config.

Bill