Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:22:28 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        Gautham Ganapathy <gauthamg123list@myrealbox.com>, Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD.org - Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [OFF] Pentium vs Athlon which is better

6/25/2002 3:49:44 PM, Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 04:26:52PM +0530, Gautham Ganapathy
wrote:
>> On Tuesday, June 25, 2002 3:51 PM, Jud wrote:
[snip]

>> > The maximum temperature I see is around 55-56C.

[GG]
>> It used to be like that before I upgraded my motherboard. However, I
did
>> not change my processor. I think some of the glue b/w the cpu and
>> heatsink may have come off. think that could be the reason ?

[SM]
>It's certainly possible... is this glue some kind of thermal pad that came
>attached to the heatsink?  You probably want to scrape that stuff off
(may
>need a bit of alcohol to dissolve it all, hopefully the heatsink isn't
>glued permanently to the CPU), get some proper thermal compound
>(any electronics store should stock this) and apply a *very* thin layer
>between the heatsink and the CPU.
>
>There's plenty of how-to articles on the web that will walk you through
the
>whole process, such as:
>http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
>
>Thermal goo is actually a worse conductor of heat than either the CPU
core
>or the heatsink, but better than air, so the trick is to apply just enough
>to fill in all the microscopic gaps between the two parts, but no more.
>
>85C is really not a healthy temperature for a CPU...
>
>	Scott

(1) I doubt you could have separated the CPU and heatsink if "glue"
(thermal epoxy) had been used, so I'm assuming as Scott does that it's
the remains of a thermal pad.  Alcohol is all you should use to get this
off your CPU.  If it doesn't all come off your heatsink with alcohol, you
have 2 alternatives: (a) Very gently, with as flat an angle as possible to
avoid any scratches, use a razor blade to remove the rest of the thermal
pad.  If the heatsink surface is fairly flat and shiny, use metal polish to
buff it, then follow by cleaning with alcohol and a lint free cloth.  If the
surface is dull and/or scratched, use 2000 grit sandpaper or emery
cloth, then follow with the metal polish and alcohol.  Alternative (b) is to
buy a new heatsink/fan.  Surface preparation is the same.

(2) Follow Scott's advice re application of thermal compound.

(3) Not necessary to buy PC Power and Cooling fans - you have
exhaust fans for the case and power supply, so all you need is an intake
fan.  You just want a case fan that is quiet and inexpensive (mine were
$9 U.S.).

(4) Palomino runs slightly cooler than the Thoroughbred, all else being
equal.

(5) Your ambient temperature (30-40C) is significantly higher than mine
(20-25C), so you'll likely see higher final temps for your CPU.  But at
least you won't be dancing on the edge of system shutdown or CPU
failure at 85 C.  :)

Jud