Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:47:19 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Michael Silver <msilver@xpresssoftware.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Will reinstall erase existing data?

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 02:50:46PM -0500, Michael Silver wrote:
> I have a system that has pseudo crashed.  I can login via the terminal, but
> my userland and kernel do not match due to a compile error.

Woops.

> What I would like to do is re-install the latest version on top of what I
> have by booting with a floppy or CD.  I have data in my /usr dir that I
> would prefer not to lose, but everything else I don't care about.

Threat the system as if it has to be upgraded from a previous
version to the current one you have on disk: boot from the CD,
select the disk label (not partitioner), select the distribution
and off you go.

At the end, you will still have all your data, just like it happens
with a normal upgrade :-)

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org