Date:      Tue, 08 Aug 1995 10:16:32 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        ROBIN@ptnsct.nis.za (Robin Hunt), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing i/o map space with freebsd 2.1.0

> Robin Hunt stands accused of saying:
>
> > 2) If not, how can I use outb / inb without creating a bus error?
>
> Your program must be run as root; before performing any I/O operations,
> open the file /dev/io.  This action grants the process priveledges to
> read and write directly to the hardware.

Does this really work?
in /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/mem.c, it looks like it is #ifdef'ed out.

at or about line 174:

#ifdef notyet
/* 386 I/O address space (/dev/ioport[bwl]) is a read/write access to seperate
   i/o device address bus, different than memory bus. Semantics here are
   very different than ordinary read/write, as if iov_len is a multiple
   an implied string move from a single port will be done. Note that lseek
   must be used to set the port number reliably. */

> > robin@ptnsct.nis.za
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@atrad.adelaide.edu.au   [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
> ]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
> ]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[

eric.

--
erich@lodgenet.com
erich@rrnet.com