Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:49:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        "James E. Quick" <jq@quick.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I need help with IPSEC

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, James E. Quick wrote:

> I am in desperate need of help with IPSEC.
> I have a pair of firewalls configured with:
> IPSEC
> IPSEC_ESP
> IPSEC_DEBUG
>
> I started with an attempt using raccoon, then backed off
> to using manually added entries via skey.
> I do not see anything in racoon output that looks like an
> error.
>
> The remote end of the gateway is a box running 4.1.1-STABLE.
> It has a single public IP address via a cable modem with
> 172.16.1.x addresses behind it.
> My endpoint is running 4.2-BETA and has an ISP provided /30
> subnet externally, with my publicly routable Class C behind.
>
> I note that when I try to reach any 172.16.1 address
> with either form of IPSEC configured I get 'No route to host'
> errors.  This suggests that IPSEC is not encapsulating anything.

	You know I have had the same problems.  I haven't quite figured
	out the tunnelling part of IPSEC yet.  So what I did, as a work
	around, was to add a tunnel interface (gif) and then add IPSEC on
	top of that in transparent mode (tunnel mode still works).  See
	below.

> I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has set up esp
> style tunnels between either 2 FreeBSDs or between FreeBSD and
> anything else.

	I used gif interfaces to build a packet tunnel (IPv4 -> IPv4). I
	then added the appropriate routes for each network, so I could
	affectively ping across the tunnels.  Tested the connection
	between the 2 using ssh.  Everything fine at this point.

	I then proceeded to add the IPSEC options in the kernel, like you
	have above.  Added the SAD entries with setkey.  Added the SPD
	policies with setkey also.  Verified connectivity.  Ran a packet
	sniffer between the 2 networks, seen packet type ESP.  Everything
	worked OK.

	It did add about 2->4 ms of latency to a 10BaseT connection but
	that seems logical.

> We are both running ipfilt on our ends.
> The remote site is also running simple ipnat configuration.

	I have not added NAT into the equation yet.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.