Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:43:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami) <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, doc@freebsd.org, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Resolution:  FDP reorganisation

Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
>  * At some point this weekend (to be decided by CVS Rep. Manager John Polstra)
>  * the doc/ repository will be frozen.  It will then be moved aside, and a
>  * new doc/ repository created.
>  *
>  * All the English documentation from the old repository will be copied in to
>  * its new location in the tree, retaining all the CVS logs, revision
>  * histories, and so on.
>  *
>  * This will be carried out by John.
>
> Are you sure this will work?  As I remember, you can't really "move
> aside" an old repository -- people who have the stuff checked out will
> have their cvs updates scream at them.  But if John says it's ok, I
> have no problem with that.

What I actually said was, "I should be able to take a look in detail
this weekend and hopefully do it."  In other words, I haven't yet
had time to figure out exactly what Nik wants to do or whether it's
OK.  Nik caught us at a time when all the repository managers are very
busy, and that's just the way things go sometimes.  For me it's likely
to last through the summer at least.  Smaller scale requests are much
easier to fit in than large scale requests, and this is the biggest
restructuring I've ever seen.

Satoshi is right about "moving aside" the old repository -- it can't
be done that way.  One can copy things (after removing or renaming
their tags) and one can "cvs rm" things, but one cannot in general
delete things from the repository.

Frankly, I've seen enough objections to various aspects of the plan
that I don't want to touch it until they're resolved.  My job is to
fix things in the repository and implement plans that others have
agreed upon.  I'm not qualified to set policy in the doc tree, so you
folks are going to have to work that out first.  If you can't come to
a resolution that satisfies the interested persons, then you're going
to have to try appealing to the core team for a decision.

John
---
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong