Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 19:43:30 +0800 (MYT)
From:      IT Security <nsg@netop.jaring.my>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Kernel not stable ?

Hello,

I have recently downloaded FreeBSD Release 2.1.7 from ftp.freebsd.org
Installation process was very easy :) Everything was just fine until I
find out that I couldn't start Xwindows because PS/2 mouse was not detected.
So I compiled the kernel (I followed the istruction given in your home
page). It works !! I can run Xwindows and Netscape too !

Then one day there was a sudden power failure. When I on the server again
I couldn't login. The login prompt won't allow me to type anything. I
have to telnet from other machine in order to get into my server.
Therefore I later tried to boot the server using kernel.GENERIC and I can
login again but of course the PS/2 mouse was disabled.

Xwindows wasn;t my priority so I decided to solve it later on.
The next thing that I did was changing the IP address of my server
because I have to move it to another subnet (I edited the
/etc/sysconfig file). .. rebooted the system. During the boot-up process
the machine has to wait for quite a long time when it reaches netstart
process. I'm very sure there is nothing wrong with my router
configuration and connection because I have other machines (NT, Linux and
BSDI) running on the same subnet.
Anyway the boot-up process continued until I got the login prompt.
I logged in and tried to ping to the gateway. It works ..
Unfortunately this is not the real headache. The system is very
intermittent. After leaving the machine for a while i couldn't ping
anymore except to itself. So I rebooted the system and depending on my
luck, I can ping and sometimes I can't ping at all. I really have no idea
where the problems might have come from.
What's your suggestion ?

Pls help me as I really need to get this server up and running soonest
possible..