Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2007 21:33:01 +0100
From:      "Jouke Witteveen" <j.witteveen@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ioctl: SIOCADDMULTI (howto?)

Hello all,

I'm in need of some information on how to utilize SIOCADDMULTI. It is
supposed to be demonstrated by the mtest [1] program, but that doesn't
do anything (on an SIOCDELMULTI rn it appears nothing was added:
ENOENT), At least not for the values I tested, 1.80.c2.0.0.1 in
particular. I presume it doesn't work because the program has not been
revised in 3 years and revision 1.4 notes that it might not work.
If this ioctl is depricated then please tell me what is the best way
to receive multicast messages from the 01.80.c2.00.00.0x (802.1)
range? It is ofcourse possible to go into ALLMULTI-mode and check on
all datagrams, but the NIC's I use are suited with a very nice
hardware filter (21143 chip) that should be able to do this more
effectively. Anyway, I believe Linux still programs the hardware
filter through SIOCADDMULTI so is a bit easier on this.
I tracked down the source from the ioctl call to the network driver
for some time now and could find no obvious fault, except for quite
much casting, and inconsistent use of types (checks happen on all
sorts of casts: socket, sokcet_dl, multiaddr, ...).
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
- Jouke

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/mtest/