Date:      Sun, 4 Jul 2004 14:41:24 -0600
From:      Scott Gerhardt <scott@g-it.ca>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Auth.log

I'm running FreeBSD 4.7 and I noticed that /var/log/auth.log does not
include year (YYYY) in the log entries.  My daily cron jobs recently
sent notice that there were some failed login attempts on July 3 to an
account that was removed many months ago.  This raised concern, so I
did a thorough check and determined that the failed login attempt
occurred July 03 of 2003, _not_ 2004.

Shouldn't auth.log include the full YYYY-MM-DD date to avoid confusion
in case auth.log doesn't rotate between years?  This should apply to
all logs, especially security related logs...

Thanks,

--
Scott A. Gerhardt, P.Geo.
Gerhardt Information Technologies