Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2015 13:50:10 +0200
From:      Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: Some unresolved but important X.org problems

Hello.

> The drm2.ko graphics driver has some hard spinning loops, which may
> be the cause of the problems you are seeing and not
> actually /dev/ums0. Are any error messages printed in "dmesg" ?

I have all debug disabled in my kernel (no WITNESS, no GDB/DDB), so no mess=
ages. If you think it's worth wile, I'll build a fresh world and a full DEB=
UG enabled kernel or I could build graphics/drm with the debug option?

> evince crashes for me about 1 out of two but files with purely
> images seems to fare slightly better than others.
> people have pointed fingers in the general direction of gtk/cairo

I was one of those finger pointers as well, since all apps would display an=
y/all text as little squares then immediately crash; unless cairo was speci=
fically built with the WITH_DEBUG=3Dyes option. IDK why that worked really,=
 it just did.
=20
> I'm running firefox 35 on current and that seems to be working OK.
I get same results as I described for Seamonkey.
=20
> My guess is that your problems are specific to your graphics
> hardware, and therefore it could be valuable if you could try,
> just as an experiment, to move your diskdrive to different hardware,
> just to see if the problems comes along for the ride.
=20
I have diskless environment set up and serving from a jail (NFS not jailed =
obviously), so I try your suggestion with any pxe_boot capable machine. Unf=
ortunately the available clients are either RS780/RS880 family, have no GPU=
, or i386. I'll have to get creative to test your idea. However, I have cor=
responded with JS Pedron several times before, so he is aware of the issue(=
s) and he did not seem to think the problem was with Radeon drivers.

I also collected "loud debug" output in the past from the Kernel, without g=
etting much of a result. Which makes me think the debug should be set for t=
he application level and not the Kernel level. The problem is, how to log a=
ll that output from 5-10 different apps all at the same time? (plus would i=
t be worth the exercise?)

Regards.

--=20
FreeBSD_amd64_11-Current_RadeonKMS