Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:25:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@bmv.state.me.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Pike & Spontanious reboot or crash

Have an odd one - looking for ideas.

Have a 4.7-STABLE system running on a 1.8Ghz P4 with 256MB - works
wonderfully - make buildworld takes 20 minutes, quite nice.

For some time I've been trying to get a working copy of Pike
(http://pike.ida.liu.se/) running on this box without much success.
Whenever I try to make a current version the machine will chug away for a
few minutes and the system will suddenly reboot or the kernel will crash.

First thing that comes to mind of course is a cooling problem - but as I
mentioned, buildworld works great - as do other larger projects - so that
seems unlikely.

Next thing that comes to mind is a memory problem - but same response - it
seems unlikely given that this is the only package that causes this to
happen.

Not really any tracks to study - most recent release of Pike is 7.4 and
that seems to be causing reboots - 7.3 was causing the kernel halts.

Any thoughts appreciated.

-Darren