Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 14:31:11 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Mark Cox <mcox@esatclear.ie>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disaster

> Mark Cox wrote:
>
> Hi i'm not sure if this question is on the right list but i'm not
> that familiar with the mailing lists anyway.....
>
> i recently cvsup'd from 3.4 stable to 4.0 everything went well i
> contined to do a make build world booted to single usermode and
> tried to make installworld but i couldn't seem to cd into /usr/src i
> tried just booting and did make installworld and it went ok for
> awhile then gave me stop error code errors i rebooted and it brought
> me staright to single user mode and gave me an option to pick a
> shell or take /bin/sh i tried bash and sh none would let me login so
> i tried to upgrade and go back to 3.4 it couldn't back up /usr/etc
> and then couldn't find any cdrom is there any way i can get in to
> fix /bin/sh ? thnaks

First of all, when you are in single user mode, bash usually isn't
available. You need to choose sh by pressing enter. You can mount your
drives at that point.

What is worse from the sounds of things is that you don't appear to
have been following /usr/src/UPDATING. Cvsup'in to 4.0 is a canted
sequence that doesn't have any options. Print UPDATING and follow each
step in it as if it was the work of GOD. I am thinking term of the
comments in the movie Dune :).

A clean install is the alternative.

Good luck,

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html