Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:02:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Adam Maloney <adam@whee.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP forcing crash/reboot in 4.9-STABLE

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Adam Maloney wrote:

> We have a 4-way P3/500 Xeon system running FreeBSD.  We had been running
> 4.8-STABLE for a number of months with SMP enabled and no issues.  Around
> 25-November we moved to 4.9-STABLE.  The system ran without SMP enabled
> until Tuesday, when we enabled SMP and APIC_IO, rebuilt the kernel, and
> rebooted.  Then about every 30 minutes the system would reboot.  We moved
> back to single-processor (using the source updated on 25-Nov) and it has
> worked since.

Please try attaching a serial console to the crashing system and set the
system to serial console, then log anything that comes across. Also enable
crashdumps.

This way if it is panicking or saying anything before crashing, we can see
whats going on.

Without any other information there is nothing I can work off of to debug
your issue.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org