Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 00:49:42 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        Bob Jiantonio <bobj@freenameregistry.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Build question

Bob Jiantonio <bobj@freenameregistry.com> wrote:

>I went and copied GENERIC to SMP, made the appropriate changes and ran
>/usr/src/make buildkernel KERNEL=SMP
>
>Took off and running, after about a minute i stopped with Error code 1 in
>"KERNBASE"
>
>Then as a troublshooting action I tried the same thing with GENERIC and got
>the exact same error.
>
>Where can I look to find out where I wnet off the rails? I am definitely a
>newbie to BSD and I think my shorts are showing :)

You need to buildworld before using the buildkernel target.

If you have not upgraded the source and you don't have a populated
/usr/obj, then you should use the old way to build the kernel, i.e.
`cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf; config SMP; cd ../../compile/SMP; make depend
kernel install`.

Tony.
--
en oeccget g mtcaa    f.a.n.finch