Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reverse DNS lookup

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, John wrote:
> > > The question - is there something that needs to be configured some place
> > > to enable reverse DNS?  Odds are I need to provide additional information
> > > off my system - just let me know what it is :)
> >
> > Send the output of
> >
> > $ nslookup 206.16.184.7
>
> Output is actually a timeout after about 60 seconds or so:
>
> merlin# nslookup 206.16.184.7
> Server:  copland.udel.edu
> Address:  128.175.xx.xx
>
> *** Request to copland.udel.edu timed-out

Looks like your uni is having network problems, I sent you a copy
directly and got a sendmail warning

   ----- The following addresses had transient non-fatal errors -----
   <papalia@UDel.Edu>

      <papalia@UDel.Edu>... Deferred: Name server: udel.edu.: host name lookup
      failure
      Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
      Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

> I tried instead an IP I've actually been having trouble resolving:
>
> merlin# nslookup 63.224.53.3
> Server:  copland.udel.edu
> Address:  128.175.xx.xx
>
> *** copland.udel.edu can't find 63.224.53.3: Non-existent host/domain

That's cause there is no reverse for that IP.  It's from a /25 subnet
and US West probably doesn't delegate less than a /24 for in-addr.arpa

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com