Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 01:46:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mark Yeck" <y3k@gti.net>
To:        anthony@freebie.atkielski.com
Cc:        tech_info@threespace.com, mwm-dated-1008649596.5a3562@mired.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EzBSD aint for me! Was: A breath of fresh air..

Anthony writes:
> Mike writes:
>> I have no idea what the "relevant skills" are
>> for "web browsing" and "e-mail".
>
> There aren't many.  The point is that you only need the relevant skills
> to do these things on Windows or a Mac, but you need many other skills
> in order to do them on a UNIX system, unless you have a UNIX person to
> set everything up (and maintain everything) for you.

I consider my sister a typical Windows user. She has browsed the internet and read her email under UNIX on two occasions that I know of, with no previous UNIX experience. Both times on Sun workstations, once under OpenBSD, once in Solaris. Her only complaint was that the 'Control' and 'Caps Lock' keys were reversed.

She is reasonably intelligent, but i think its unlikely that she would be able to set up networking in either Windows or FreeBSD without assistance, and extremely unlikely that she could install either OS on her own.

-mark