Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:42:32 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
Cc:        Robin Huiser <listmail@node10c55.a2000.nl>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cron keeps bugging me...

In the last episode (Sep 18), Graeme Tait said:
> Dan Nelson wrote:
> > Aha.  There is a difference between the "crontab for root" and the
> > "system crontab".  The system crontab has an extra field (the "who"
> > field) that tells cron what user to run the job as.  The system
> > crontab lives in /etc/crontab and is not edited via the "crontab
> > -e" command. You simply edit /etc/crontab.
>
> A related question - I've made crontab files for users, but now need
> to have a task run as root by cron.
>
> Should I edit the system crontab, or make a new crontab for root?
> Does it make a difference which way I do it?

Doesn't really matter.  They get run the same way.  You might want to
check the list archives, though.  I seem to remember a similar
discussion.

Aha. here it is.

http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?db=mid&id=199606271712.KAA20736@meerkat.mole.org

One of the posters in that thread had a broken mailer that didn't
include References: headers, so you'll probably have to read the thread
by subject (search for "crontab controversy"):

http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/1996/freebsd-questions/19960623.freebsd-questions.html

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com