Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 16:26:09 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Alan DuBoff <aland@SoftOrchestra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 09:22:36PM -0800, Alan DuBoff wrote:
> At 04:40 PM 3/10/99 -0400, Victor Salaman wrote:
> >In fact, I have ported my own driver from Linux drivers
> >from David Hinds distribution for one of my cards
>
> At the risk of showing my ignorance I would like to ask what is involved in
> doing that?
>
> I have a card that has a driver supported on Linux, the 3Com 3c574-TX, it's
> a 10/100 PCMCIA Fast Ethernet card, but it is kinda unique in that it is 16
> bit.
>
> There is also a 3c574-TX which is a 32 bit CardBus, however, many laptop
> owners may be familiar with the 32 bit problems associated with mixing
> 32/16 bit cards. If you aren't, the 16 bit cards are often not recognized
> upon reboot, it's a known problem as many IHVs handle 32 bitness differently.
>
> I actually bought a 589D from a friend a couple weeks ago for $50 (seemed
> like a good deal to me, seeing as they are discontinued now!;-) as they are
> supported on every single OS I would want to run on my laptop.
>
> I might be willing to port the 3c574 driver over to FreeBSD if I knew what
> all was involved. But without knowing what is involved I don't know that I
> can do it, and as one other gent pointed out, I need to feed and provide
> for my family, and am limited on amount of time I have available. As him, I
> whore myself out to people that *WILL* pay me to write software for them,
> and I'm not about to quit doing that just yet...However, I might be willing
> to invest some time to provide a port of a driver for the above card, I
> don't know yet.

It's not too hideous, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty on kernel
code.  The main thing is having the manufacturers documentation -- porting
the Xircom driver with only the Linux code to refer to has been *hell*.
Fortunately Xircom are about to come to the party...

If you've got working code for Linux or whatever, then a 'port' amounts to
munging that into the BSD driver framework, which is a little different.
The ed driver is a really good template -- I've basically ended up ripping
out the h/w specific parts of that and replacing them with the Xircom
stuff.  For a 10/100 card you'll also have to deal with media
autoselection; the xl, fxp and tl (?) drivers are pretty good sources for
that.

There you go.  Easy huh?

	Scott