Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:40:27 -0400
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> > >           grep -qs '^telnet' /etc/inetd.conf
> > >           if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
> > >              echo ""
> > >              echo "*** Note: telnetd is enabled in /etc/inetd.conf"
> > >              echo "***       either comment it out of there, or"
> > >              echo "***       delete this check in /root/.bashrc"
> > >              echo ""
> > >          fi
> >
> >This message is targetted for an audience that doesn't know whether or
> >not telnetd is enabled in inetd.conf. The contradiction is in the
> >assumption that these people care about security. They don't; otherwise
> >they would know whether telnetd was enabled or not. Therefore, the
> >message is meaningless.
>
> As I explicitly mentioned in the paragraph after that code,
>     "The text of the message needs to be improved, of course"

I don't think that rephrasing will change the root purpose of the
message and therefore the usefulness of the message :-)

In principle the idea is good. It just doesn't fit the unix philosofy,
IMO. I for one would be insulted by it as I'm already insulted by most
of the security related, well intended, highly unwanted and in your face
notices that tell me things I already know or tell me things I don't
care about.

example:
I installed ucd-snmp yesterday to try something out. I know it installed
a daemon, because it tells me so (in this case I already knew before I
typed make). I therefore immediately know that security, if I'd care in
the first place, would be an issue. In this case I couldn't care less.
What happens? I get a security notice... It took me 5 minutes to funnel
my agression :-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org