Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 12:45:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: any Linux distros which are not Open Source?

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Dan Langille wrote:

> I'm involved in a thread on nz.comp and someone made this statement:
>
> "There are commercial forms of Linux that are not open source."

The person who said that should give some examples. To me this seems just
another piece of FUD. Maybe he thinks about kind of embedded devices, but
then the company still has to make the sources available since they are
under GPL.

> That's a conflict of terms isn't it?  Doesn't the GPL require that it be
> open source?

If it's Linux, it's GPL. If it's GPL, it *must* be open source.

lg,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                          eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
WWW-Redaktion                       Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)    Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien