Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 17:44:49 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        ben <ben@stonehenge-net.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing with extended partitions

First off, let me tell you I have not used Partition Magic in over a
year, and when I tried messing with ext2 partitions back then, I was not
satisfied with the results.

I don't think PM and UNIX play well together.

Second, how are you trying to access this partition? You should run
MAKEDEV to add ad0s[5-9] or whatever partition numbers you want. FreeBSD
will recognize the logical partitions the same way Linux does, with the
first logical partition being ad0s5, and counting up from there.

Then, if you have NTFS support in your kernel, you should be able to
mount_ntfs the partition with no trouble. Mind you, I've not tried this
with NTFS partitions, only ext2...

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 03:35:17PM -0800, ben wrote:
> my <wonderful> IT department has just decided to install a new image
> file on my laptop consisting of 2 different NTFS partitions with
> different $PATH variables, (to run 2 different versions of powerbuilder
> on) a third for shared stuff, and a small hidden partition with
> bootmagic, so the 2 bootable partitions won't mount each other.
>
> i can squeeze these down small enough to still have 4.8 or so gigs for
> FreeBSD, but when i use partition magic to set up the last NTFS
> partition as a logical partition within an extended partition, FreeBSD's
> installer won't see the NTFS partition - it just shows me the extended
> whole extended partitionas ad0s4.  is there a way for it to see the
> logical partitions? is this a partition magic bug?
>
> thanks
>
> Ben

Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx