Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 20:56:15 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mail.theinternet.com.au>
To:        Martin Recktenwald <mreckt@cs.uni-sb.de>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADSL

+----[ Martin Recktenwald ]---------------------------------------------
| On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 12:38:40PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
| > In message <20000807123134.A3807@vodix.cs.uni-sb.de>, Martin Recktenwald writes
| > :
| >
| > Well it does in that sense that 'IDSL' uses ISDN technology to carry ADSL
| > over short distances, but slower.
| >
| I did a quick websearch for IDSL; sounds quite useless to me. And has
| the wrong name. ADSL is a layer 1 technology. ISDN also defines layer 1.
| Something like "ADSL over ISDN" doesn't seem to make sense.

I have limited knowledge on this basically given to me by Telstra rep,
who has been know to lie to me before, but, here goes...

ADSL depends on DC continuity, it some places like Australia you can't
get this, and so any ADSL connections are limited to your exchange (if
you're lucky enough to get that). Infrastructure changes are in place
here to be able to offer ADSL services (but, I really don't think this
means laying copper in the street).

| And it doesn't provide any serious advantage over plain ISDN.

Other than giving you the ability to do ADSL to places you wouldn't
normally be able to. And 2xB +D IDSL is faster than 128K ISDN (1.5M I think),
so you still get a definite speed increase.

--
Totally Holistic Enterprises Internet|  P:+61 7 3870 0066   | Andrew Milton
The Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd          |  F:+61 7 3870 4477   |