Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:21:56 -0500
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@kfu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: prism2 128 bit wep keys?

Are you quite sure the Linksys access point supports 128-bit keys?
On mine, the box said yes but the documentation, what there was of
it, seemed to say no.  I didn't look very hard but remember being
rather annoyed.

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 03:52:21PM -0800, Nick Sayer wrote:
> Peter Radcliffe wrote:
>
> >nsayer@quack.kfu.com probably said:
> >
> >>I just obtained a Linksys 802.11b access point. I previously was
> >>using an Apple Airport. 64 bit (40 bit, really) WEP keys work, but
> >>128 bit (104 bit, really) keys don't with the wi driver using my
> >>Netgear MA401.
> >>

> >>I'm not quite sure whether to blame the access point or the FreeBSD
> >>driver.
> >>
> >>Has anyone seen 128 bit keys working on prism2 wi cards under FreeBSD?
> >>

> >Not personally, I use lucent or cisco client cards, but one thing to
> >note is that different company's text representations (passphrases) of
> >keys do not agree. Whenever I have key problems the first thing I
> >check is that the key is entered in hex at both ends.
> >

> You're quite right. But in this case it is indeed hex both places (I get
> my WEP keys from hexdump < /dev/random).

Barney Wolff

"Nonetheless, ease and peace had left this people still curiously tough.
They were, if it came to it, difficult to daunt or to kill; and they were,
perhaps, so unwearyingly fond of good things not least because they could,
when put to it, do without them, and could survive rough handling by grief,
foe, or weather in a way that astonished those who did not know them well
and looked no further than their bellies and their well-fed faces." J.R.R.T.