Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2010 06:49:23 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>
To:        Tim Bishop <tim@bishnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 8.1R ZFS almost locking up system

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

On 2010-Aug-21 23:04:35 +0100, Tim Bishop <tim@bishnet.net> wrote:
>I've had a problem on a FreeBSD 8.1R system for a few weeks. It seems
>that ZFS gets in to an almost unresponsive state. Last time it did it
>(two weeks ago) I couldn't even log in, although the system was up, this
>time I could manage a reboot but couldn't stop any applications (they
>were likely hanging on I/O).

Unless you have a ZFS-only system, it's possible you are running out
of free memory (see the "free" entry in top(1) or 'systat -v') - in
which case r211581 (and r211599 which fixes a mismerge) should help.
Your very high kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.memory_throttle_count suggests
this is your problem.

I have a more extensive patch in
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D146410

--=20