Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:23:26 -0500
From:      "Louis Munro" <louismunro_nospam@altern.org>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   nforce2 board - is it asking for trouble?

Hi,
I will soon be replacing my old pc and I'm looking for advice about the =
motherboard I should be buying. I'd like to run both windoze (for the =
games) and FreeBSD on it.
Having a rather limited budget I have been looking at some boards with =
integrated graphics. The only one that seems decent to me is the Asus =
A7N8X-VM (see http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=3DA7N8X-VM&langs=3D01) =
but it uses the nforce2 chipset and an integrated Geforce4 MX GPU.=20
I've read some of the posts on the list that mention people having =
problems whith that chipset such as no onboard ethernet support, which =
I'm willing to live with (I have two other PCI cards I can use for that) =
but some comments have me confused: should I expect more problems or =
will it be fine using 4.9 stable and later? Will I have AGP support, 3D =
acceleration under XFree86 etc?=20
Or am I setting myself up for trouble down the road?

Any advice is appreciated,
Louis