Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 22:39:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   installation problems

hi all, I've been having a heck of a time getting freebsd installed on my
system.  My system is cobbled-together--it has an AMD
586 133-mHz cpu, a quantum 2.1 gig hd, a mitsumi 32X cd-rom, and a
typically generic floppy drive.  I've also got 16 megs of ram.

Basically, I can get the machine to go through the install, but I
invariably get these weird, wonky things.  I get a "fatal trap 12:  page
fault in kernel mode" message and then the machine reboots.  Sometimes it
will start up with from the hd.  Sometimes it will only start up from the
floppy.  Sometimes the system, upon reboot, will ask me for the shell and
then it will hang.

I have been tearing my hair out over this for the past 2 days.  I've tried
switching hard drives, I've made a new boot disk,I have disconnected and
reconnected everything inside that computer at least a dozen times.  and I
know that everything on that machine, with the posslble exception of the
motherboard and ram, works.  Because I've tried everything out on
different components that I *knew* worked.

 Please help me. I mean, unix can't be THIS frustrating

thanks

alissa