Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 05:26:30 -0500
From:      Jack Sherwood <sherwoodj@home.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.org, dwhite@FreeBSD.org, "Sherwood, John E. \"Jack\"" <sherwooj@spawar.navy.mil>, jimmy@cs.cofc.edu
Subject:   Try #2: Linux emulator not installed in the kernal

Thank you Doug for writing!

I tried what you said, performing a package add command on linux_base-6.1.tgz
and that command worked fine, installing the package from the FreeBSDi CDROM,
until the system noticed that the package was already installed.  The same
error as included below (e.g. no linux) still occurred.  Departing a bit from
the text of Greg Lehey's book, I eventually found the emulator directory and
within that the linux_base directory which contained a Makefile. So, I entered
"make".  That make file eventually found glibc-2.1.2-11.i386.rpm from a
Netherlands mirror site (ftp.nluug.nl) and then started looking for
termcap-9.12.6-15.i386 then libtermcap.2.0.8-18.i386.rpm, then
bash-1.14.7-16.i386.rpm, then ncurses-4.2-25.i386.rpm, and on and on ....

Eventually, the console displayed => registering installation for rpm-2.5.6;
=> returning to build of linux_base-6.1; => patching for linux_base-6.1; =>
configuring for linux_base-6.1; and then command prompt.  Success?

Well, then same problem as below.  I enter "linux" and get "linux: Command not
found" and I enter "kldstat" and I get only "1     1  0xc100000  2eab04
kernel"    After rebooting, still same thing.

Still no linux from the FreeBSDi box that promises linux compatibility.  Is
this supposed to be hard (undocumented?).  There is now a new directory called
work that has 4 zero-length files ".build_done", ".configure_done",
".extract_done", ".patch_done"

Still lost in Charleston.

Sincerely,