Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 14:39:06 +0700 (ICT)
From:      pirat sriyotha <pirat@center.oaep.go.th>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jonathan Fosburgh <jef53313@Bayon.UH.EDU>, "Larry S. Marso" <larry@marso.com>, Zoltan Sebestyen <szoli@cs.elte.hu>
Subject:   Re: lyx: LaTeX did not work

hi all,

many thanks to you all.  i have either pkg_delete or make deinstall from
lyx back to tex-3.14159 as of your suggestions.  and do only ports install
from tex up to lyx again, no more pkg_add.  with ports, i compile source
files to fit to my machine easily. and i have to use this way since my
machine is quite old, 486dx2-66.  for each ports, i do

make clean
make depend
make configure
make
make install
rehash
make clean

it's quite funny that after tex-3.14159 has been installed, i installed
teTeX and latex2e-98.01 parallelly.  and this is also very fotunate
that latex finish first.  and i have to make deinstall some ports.

anyway, lyx is up again and i can 'view dvi' from within lyx now.
any further informations are welcome.

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Brett Taylor wrote:

> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 07:48:37 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
> To: pirat sriyotha <pirat@center.oaep.go.th>
> Cc: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: lyx: LaTeX did not work
>
> Hi,
>
> > my system is FreeBSD-2.2.6 with tex-3.14159, teTeX-0.4, latex2e-98.01,
> > lyx-0.12.0 and all dvips packages.
>
> Here's the problem!  You should only install either teTeX OR the
> combination of tex and latex.  I had this problem at one point as well.
> My machine came installed with every single package!  :-)
>
> Try pkg_deleting all of the above packages and just install teTeX.  (If
> you just pkg_delete tex and latex I think it will delete some of the
> things teTeX needs).  Then try lyx again.  Good luck!

thanks to FreeBSD-questions team too !

with best regards,
Pirat Sriyotha

Office of Atomic Energy for Peace