Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:24:01 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        david@banning.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world needs single user mode?

>When I created my system I think I may have made my root system
>too small. So I ended up linking a couple of the / directories
>to /usr.
>
>I just now wondering if that will pose a problem for a make world.
>If I remember correctly, I think you're supposed to go into single user
>mode?

Despite recommendations against doing so, I did a "make world" on my server
both in multi-user mode AND remotely. I am really lucky that it all
succeeded perfectly and will now stop living on the edge, but the point is
that you can do make worlds in multiuser mode and not destroy the universe.

When I first installed FreeBSD on my home system, I did qutie a few
experiments to see if I could break it. Not that this has anything to do
with what you asked, but you may find it interesting. I found:

1) Don't use every optimization that you can find on the kernel. This really
pisses it off quite a bit.

2) You can "make world" doing just about anything. I had one going while
also having FTP, WWW, and mail users. Somehow FreeBSD didn't get confused
and it all worked fine. <clap clap clap> I wouldn't do this on a system of
any importance though.

3) The only way that I found in all my travels to kill FreeBSD, short of
messing with hardware, is by running a Linux app that has statically linked
libraries on a FreeBSD 4.2 system that has Linux binary compatibility
enabled. FreeBSD /really/ dislikes statically linked Linux apps. Other than
that, I can't seem to crash it without cheating.