Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 17:02:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Michael Reifenberger <root@totum.plaut.de>
To:        Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lockup

On Sat, 7 Jun 1997, Wm Brian McCane wrote:

> Date: Sat, 07 Jun 1997 09:26:38 -0500
> From: Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
> To: current@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Lockup
>
> I have found an `interesting' lockup in -current involving NFS.  If I have a
> filesystem mounted from my server machine onto one of my client machines, and
> then unmount the filesystem on the server, the next time I type `df' the
> client stops working.  No panic, nothing just dead.  In X the mouse stops
> moving, and I cannot switch to a text console.  On a text console, I cannot

Could it be that you have mounted the remote FS to /?
And you mounted it hard.

So if a process traverses the rootdir it gets blocked.

A workaround should be:
mkdir /mnt/foo
mount dest:/bla /mnt/foo
ln -s /mnt/foo /

I'm not shure if it is suffitient to mount the FS soft/intr.

BTW:
Does amd help in such a situation(server dies)?
Has anybody tried?

Bye!
----
Michael Reifenberger