Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2018 18:29:54 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        B J <va6bmj@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panics With Firefox 63.x

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 16:44:04 +0000, B J wrote:
> I recently upgraded my system and that included Firefox.  It's been
> troublesome ever since.  Often, it would crash for no apparent reason
> and this morning, it started taking down my entire system.  The result
> was that my machine would have to reboot.
>
> Now I can't use Firefox at all without having my machine going into a
> kernel panic.

Could you get any useful information from the kernel dump?

> My machine is more than 10 years old and I think it runs 32 bits.  The
> OS is FreeBSD 11.2 and I'm using Mate as a desktop.

Same here - the machine is quite old and runs 32 bit, which
is intended (2 GB RAM, no requirement for 64 bit at all,
trouble with nVidia driver). Needless to say, I'm _not_
using Firefox on that particular machine (I prefer Opera).

> Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Others than replacing Firefox with a better browser? ;-)

What you could do: Re-install Firefox (most recent version).
Also make sure all of its dependencies are up to date. In
worst case, it's "just" a memory leak.

Check if the Firefox + system crashes happen when visiting
"complicated pages" (i. e., those involving lots of JS, or
those containing FLV, MP4 or WebM media content).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany