Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:45:04 -0700
From:      Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS Blacklist Script?

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Chris Maness wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a script (or application) to automagically add a
>> host to a dns blacklist?  It would be very convenient to blacklist all
>> the e-mails sent from a spammer to a honeypot address, or to blacklist
>> all senders that thunderbird moves into the spam sub-folder.
>>

> You need to be very careful implementing something like this.  Most
> Spam nowadays is bot-generated and uses forged 'From' addresses culled
> from the address books on infected machines.  Unless you're careful,
> you're going to end up blocking a lot of completely innocent people,
> or worse, blocking your own legitimate e-mail users.
>
> Having said that, consider SpamAssassin's 'Auto white list' feature.
> It also works as a black list, but it's not a binary on-off.  Instead,
> anyone who sends e-mail to your server gets a spam score depending on
> the ratings of their previous e-mails to you.  That's added to the
> spam score for the e-mail being processed.  So someone who continually
> sends you spammy e-mails won't get the benefit of the doubt on a marginal
> e-mail, but someone else who sends a lot of ham will.
>
> Also included in SpamAssassin is a client for the Vipul's Razor project.
> That's a database of checksums of spam e-mails that is updated live.
> Spammer starts sending a few million spam e-mails, but after the first
> few, there's a mail signature in the Razor DB so that the rest of the
> world can reject those spams straight away. (Port: mail/razor-agents, WWW:
> http://razor.sourceforge.net/)
>
> Integrating SpamAssassin into a mailing system can be done in many ways
> depending on what mail software is in use and so forth.  Ask again here
> with details of your mail setup if you're interested in doing that.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

The Razor project looks interesting.  However, the site is poorly
written, and I can't seem to find out how it actually works.

I am still interested in setting up a honeypot account on my server,
then spreading this account all over the net so that the harvesters that
have picked up my e-mail address will pick up the spamtrap address.
Then, any e-mail received to this account will get canned.

Chris Maness