Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:02:10 +0100
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog logging question

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 01:29:56PM +0100, John Murphy wrote:
> Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk> wrote:
>
> >I have ipfilter on some of my boxes. In /etc/syslog.conf, I have the
> >following lines:
> >
> >!ipmon
> >*.*                                             /var/log/ipf.log
> >
> >This works, and I get all entries in /var/log/ipf.log, which is good.
> >The problem I have is that I also get all entries in /var/log/messages
> >
> >What do I need to do to stop syslog logging these messages to both
> >locations and start logging only to /var/log/ipf.log ?
>
> I don't have an entry in syslog.conf for ipmon but I have:
> ipmon_flags="-D /var/log/ipf.log"  # typically "-Ds" or "-D /var/log/ipflog"
> in /etc/rc.conf
The default -Ds logs to syslog with facility local0.

man ipmon:
<snip>
       -s     Packet  information  read in will be sent through syslogd rather
          than saved to a file.  The default facility  when  compiled  and
          installed is local0.  The following levels are used:

          LOG_INFO  - packets logged using the "log" keyword as the action
          rather than pass or block.

          LOG_NOTICE - packets logged which are also passed

          LOG_WARNING - packets logged which are also blocked

          LOG_ERR - packets which have been logged and which can  be  con-
          sidered "short".
<snip>

handy I suppose if you do any postprocessing of the ipmon log output via syslogd.

Regards,
Jez