Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 1995 03:03:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Morgan Davis <root@io.cts.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   current disk trouble

After -current from a week ago, booting up resulted in some kernel
messages about disk partitions not being fully within slices and
partitions starting at block 1, and other things that make you think
there's something seriously wrong with your drives.

I set up FreeBSD initially when the 2.0R version was released in late
November 1994, and used its tools to set up the FreeBSD partitions.
Not sure what needs to be done (if anything can be done) to avoid
these errors without wiping out everything I've set up (that seemed to
work just fine before).  Of course, I've been using the system for a
week now with no real side-effects, but every time I reboot and see
those kernel messages, it bugs me.

fdisk says:

******* Working on device /dev/rwd0d *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=419 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=419 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

fdisk: Invalid fdisk partition table found
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 0 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 1 is: