Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:04:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   doing vfs_hash_get when vnode locked

There's a place in my nfsv4 client where I need to vfs_hash_get() when
another blocked thread may be holding a lock on the vnode. (It's during
a recovery case where the other threads are blocked, so there isn't a
race problem, as far as I understand it.)

For FreeBSD7, all I did was call vfs_hash_get() with flags == 0 and it
gave me what I wanted (the vnode for the file handle with a reference
count, but no lock).

For FreeBSD-CURRENT/8, this no longer works, because vfs_hash_get() calls
vget(), which calls _vn_lock() and _vn_lock() now complains if the lock
type field of "flags" is 0. I came up with a really ugly workaround, by
setting the flags arg. to LK_EXCLOTHER for vfs_hash_get() and then
providing my own VOP_LOCK1() which just VI_UNLOCK()s and returns 0 for
this case (doing the same as vop_stdlock() for other cases). Yuck!!

Is it possible to re-enable the case of _vn_lock() getting a locktype
field == 0 (or defining one that says "just return 0 unless VI_DOOMED"),
so I don't need the dirty hack?

Have a good week, rick