Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:31:07 -0500
From:      Marcia Barrett Nice <mimerki@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bellsouth ADSL Setup

I have a Alcatel Speed Touch Home ADSL modem supplied by Bellsouth,
which I am trying to get my FreeBSD box to connect with.  This isn't the
Alcatel USB ADSL modem.

I've configured my ppp.conf file according the Handbook for PPPoE (with
a liberal dose of http://www.daemonnews.org/200101/pppoe.html for good
measure).  I have tried both connecting on start-up (by editing rc.conf)
and starting manually.   The box recognizes the modem and talks to it,
the modem lights blink in sequences not dissimilar from those one sees
when it is connected.  However, I'm not getting a connection.  (I cannot
ping the DNS or anything else I've thought to try.)

Looking through the archives, I found a couple instances of people
asking about this, all of whom were directed to the sources I've used.
Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong (or not doing at all)?  If
someone here is using bellsouth, could they send me their ppp.conf (or
any other necessary files)?

Thanks.
MBNice