Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 23:52 EDT
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question about "ed" driver performance on ASUS SP3G & 486DX4/100

As a data point, I just copied 5MB from a P6/200 running fbsd 2.1.5 & a
Pro 100B (at 10 MHz) to a 486/66 running Unixware 2.0.3 with a WD8013.
Via NFS, 651 KB/sec.

I have in fact seen slow transfers to a 486 with WD8013 from an SGI
workstation.  I wonder if it has more to do with the ethernet than
with the 8013.  But on the same lan, another 486 with a 3com 3c509
was able to keep up.  It may have something to do with how collisions
get handled, as I vaguely recall (was a couple of years ago) that
running multiple transfers simultaneously caused trouble with the 8013
but not with the 3c509.

WARNING:  In all the tests I've run, the 486 was running Unixware, not
fbsd.

<barney@databus.com>