Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 19:02:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Bartley <mbartley@lear35.cytex.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   compiler internal error

I'm running -current on a Pentium 100.  Last successful make world completed
early on August 12 (was runing overnight).  That night after another
source code update, I started another make world and left it running
overnight.

It never finished though.  Somewhere along the line, the system
crashed and rebooted.

Since then, *nothing* compiles.  Ld always crashes and dumps core.
Here is how I first noticed the problem.

# make bootstrap
cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make && make depend &&  make -DNOMAN -DNOPROFILE all
  install cleandir obj
cc -O -I/usr/src/usr.bin/make -DPOSIX -DSYSVINCLUDE    -o make arch.o buf.o
  compat.o cond.o dir.o for.o hash.o job.o main.o make.o parse.o str.o
  suff.o targ.o var.o lstAppend.o lstAtEnd.o lstAtFront.o lstClose.o
  lstConcat.o lstDatum.o lstDeQueue.o lstDestroy.o lstDupl.o lstEnQueue.o
  lstFind.o lstFindFrom.o lstFirst.o lstForEach.o lstForEachFrom.o lstInit.o
  lstInsert.o lstIsAtEnd.o lstIsEmpty.o lstLast.o lstMember.o lstNext.o
  lstOpen.o lstRemove.o lstReplace.o lstSucc.o
cc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 11
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
#

I've tried to recompile ld, but of course I need ld to do so.  I've
tried copying the ld, make, cc, cpp, and cc1 binaries from
2.2-960801-SNAP.  It didn't help.

Is there any good way to dig out of this?  I might try installing the
entire -SNAP over the existing binaries.  The system otherwise works,
but it's now stuck with the code it was compiling at the last make
world.  Not to mention it's impossible to compile ports or anything of
my own.