Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:50:33 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        jonsmith@dragonstar.dhs.org (Jonathan Smith)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UDMA interfering with install

> Unfortunately, the UDMA chipset on my ASUS P5A doesn't work well with
> Western Vegetable drives....  So, I need to forcibly sysctl it into pio
> mode.  Is there *any* way to do this from sysinstall on the
> 5.0-200105250-CURRENT (or later snap on current.freebsd.org) floppy
> bootup?

Well I don't know of a way to do it in sysinstall, but here is the way
I did it a few days ago:

Boot your machine with the install floppies and when it gives the message:

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.

press any other key to get to the loader prompt. Then type:

set hw.ata.ata_dma=0
boot

Then just go through the normal installation procedure. When you are
finished with the installation and the machine reboots, break at the
loader prompt again and do the same thing. After that login and add
the next line to /boot/loader.conf

hw.ata.ata_dma=0

Now you should be set. :-)

John