Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:17:25 -0500
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Creating network interface in VM?

I'm running FreeBSD 7.1-BETA2 in a virtual machine in
VirtualBox, running on a Linux (Debian) host. I was able to
set up everything quite easily, and originally set up
networking over NAT. But after some questions on the VB
mailing list about accessing the guest from the host (so I can
use the FreeBSD VM as a test server from my host), I decided
to set up Host Interface Networking (without bridging, as I
only want the VM visible to the host, not the rest of the
network).

The instructions I was following were pretty straightforward,
though they were for a Linux guest:

---
auto vbox0
iface vbox0 inet static
    address 192.168.5.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
---

is the setup for the Linux host, and the guest is supposed to
be the same thing with a different IP address. Using this alone,
I was already able to reach the Linux host from my FreeBSD VM.

I tried to set this up on the FreeBSD side, but I am unable to
even create the vbox0 interface:

---
# ifconfig vbox0 create
ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: Invalid argument
---

Googling hasn't been much help. How do I get this done?

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower