Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 09:27:39 +1000 (GMT+1000)
From:      Information Help Desk <info@adn.edu.ph>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   No response from bootp server

HI !!!

	I recently set-up my fbsd box as a bootp server. I ran bootpd as
a standalone process, (bootpd -s), and modified /etc/bootptab. It now
contains the following,

.default:\
	:hn:dn=mydomain:\
	:hd=/usr/boot:\
	:ds=mynameserver:\
	:sm=mynetmask:\
	:gw=mygateway:

csdept	:ht=ether:ha=0020AFA73683:tc=.default:

To find out if it works, I tested it out in one workstation connected to
the network. I run windows and tcpman wherein I put 'bootp' instead of an
IP address in the setup. It works just fine and the workstation was able
to get the IP from my fbsd bootp server.

Then, I tried NCSA telnet for PC's. I modified the configuration file
'config.tel'.

	#myip=165.220.57.10
	myip=BOOTP

I tried to telnet to one of our hosts in the network using NCSA telnet.
However, after waiting for 20 seconds, NCSA telnet responds back with

	No respond from BOOTP server
	Unable to initialize or read the configuration file
	BOOTP Failed !

How come there was no respond from my BOOTP server? The hardware address
is indicated above in the bootptab file.

	Thank you ~:')

--
jf