Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 15:36:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Aaron Benner <abenner@condor.physics.montana.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   AIC7880P

I've got a problem, and I need to know if I sliced hairs too thin.

We recently aquired a pair of seagate barracuda 9 gig Ultra Wide scsi
drives, and an adaptec 2940UW (AIC7880P controller chip).

I need to know if, as the evidence seems to support, there is enough
difference between the AIC7880 and the AIC7880P for the Ultra Wide
controller to be incompatible with FreeBSD.

The current symptom is a hang at the kernel probe, the kernel recognizes
the card as a 2940 with a wide channel, reports the right card status, and
then the "waiting for SCSI devices to settle" just sits there like a lump.

Any suggestions/help/comments would be most appreciated.