Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 2008 22:19:49 +0200
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        sclark46@earthlink.net
Cc:        Jo Rhett <jrhett@netconsonance.com>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3

Stephen Clark wrote:
> Scott Long wrote:
>> Jo Rhett wrote:
>>> Okay, I totally understand that FreeBSD wants people to upgrade from
>>> 6.2 to 6.3.  But given that 6.3 is still experiencing bugs with
>>> things that are working fine and stable in 6.2, this is a pretty hard
>>> case to make.
>>
>> Can you describe the bugs that are affecting you?
>>

>>> This is also a fairly significant investment in terms of time and
>>> money for any business to handle this ugprade.  It totally understand
>>> obsoleting 5.x now that 7.x is out.  But 6.2 is barely a year old...
>>>

>> The expectation is always that newer versions of a stable branch will
>> have few regressions, and thus upgrading is a low risk.
>>
>> Scott
>>
> Can just the kernel be upgraded or does all of user space have to be
> upgrades to.

Most things will work fine with slightly mismatched kernels, but it's
not recommended to do this (some utilities may not work properly).

> How would someone recommend upgrading 500 hundred remote sites spread
> throughout

Thoroughly test on identically configured machines, roll out
incrementally and make sure you have a fallback (i.e. console access) in
case something goes catastrophically wrong.

Kris